Paper chemicals market in Japan and Korea is expected to reach approximately USD 5,100 million by 2025 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of more than 4% between 2017 and 2025. Increasing applications of the paper in several end-user industries and the growing demand for the high-quality paper are the major factors driving the paper chemicals market in Japan and Korea.
The chemicals that are used in the process of modifying the properties of the paper are known as paper chemicals. Process chemicals, functional chemicals, coating chemicals, etc. are some of the major types of chemicals used in paper industry. The process chemicals include fixing agents, water management coagulants, and flocculants, retention aids, etc. Process chemicals are used to increase machine efficiency, and to optimize the cost of the product. The functional chemicals include pigments, colorants, sizing agents, and color developers. The coating agents are used to enhance characteristics of paper to achieve excellent performance and appearance. Coating additives, binders are the some of the coating agents used in paper chemical industry.
The Japan and Korea – Paper chemicals market were valued around USD 3,500 million in the year 2016 and it is expected to reach approximately USD 5,100 million by 2025. The Japan and Korea – Paper chemicals market are expected to grow at a CAGR of over 4% between 2016 and 2025.
Drivers and Restraints
The major factors driving the growth of Japan and Korea – Paper chemicals market includes the shift to higher value-added products and the development of the environmentally friendly technologies in Japan and Korea. Moreover, increasing use of recovered or recycle fiber to save energy by reducing energy consumption is expected to propel the growth of the paper chemical market in Japan and Korea in the coming years. According to Japan Paper Association, in 2016, in Japan, the recovered paper utilization rate was 64.2%, which is highest in the world.
The high cost of the paper chemicals and the increased use of paper chemicals cause health and environmental hazards thus limiting the growth of the paper chemicals market in Japan and Korea.
By product type, the bleaching agents contributed the major market share of around 28% in 2016. It is also anticipated that this dominance will be retained in the forecasted period owing to its highest growth rate. It is expected that the bleaching chemicals segment will register a CAGR of over 4.4% in the forecasted period. Bleaching chemicals help in removing the pulp stains. The increasing requirement of bleaching chemicals for improving the quality of the paper is the key factor increasing the demand for the bleaching agents in the paper chemicals market. Some of the widely used bleaching chemicals include chlorine gas, hydrogen peroxide, ozone, peracetic acid, oxygen, chlorine dioxide, etc.
The other products that are expected to witness a good growth rate are pulping agents and strengthening chemicals. Pulping agents help in breaking the internal bonds of the woods. Whereas, strengthening chemicals provide physical and chemical strength to the paper. As these chemicals improve the paper strength they are increasingly used in papers that are majorly used in the packaging industry.
In the Japan and Korea paper chemicals market, Japan registered the major market contribution. It is anticipated that by 2025 Japan will hold the major market share of over 60%. As Japan holds the third position in the paper production market it is expected that the demand for the paper chemicals will also increase in the forecast period. The presence of several international chemical manufacturing companies in Japan also contributes to the market growth. By product type, the bleaching chemicals are expected to register the highest CAGR of 4.8%.
Korea is expected to register the CAGR of above 3.5%. The market is growing at a good rate in the country owing to the increasing technological advancements in the paper chemical industry. By product type, pulping agents are expected to register a CAGR of over 3.5% over the forecast period.
The report includes detailed profiles of the prominent market players that are trending in the market. The lists of the players that are compiled in the report are Clariant, BASF, Evonik Industries AG, Kolb, Imerys, Kemira, The Chemours Company, ivaxchem.com, Anmol Polymers, Vipul Chemicals India Pvt. Ltd., Orient Packagings Ltd., Arjun Chemicals (I) Ltd., and The Dow Chemical Company, among others.
The recent developments in the Japan and Korea paper chemicals market were in 2017, Clariant of Switzerland had acquired the Huntsman Corporation continuing a consolidation push in the chemicals industry. Moreover, in October 2017, Kemira and Valmet partnered for the development of industrial internet solutions for pulp and paper industry for improving the speed, quality, reliability, predictability, and performance of their customers’ business.
List of Figures
1. Market research process
2. Market research methodology
3. Japan and Korea - paper chemicals market revenue, 2016 - 2025(USD Million)
4. Porter’s five forces analysis
5. Japan and Korea - paper chemicals market attractiveness analysis, by Product Type segment
6. Japan and Korea - paper chemicals: Market attractiveness analysis, by country
7. Company market share analysis, 2016
8. Japan and Korea - paper chemicals market revenue share by Product Type, 2016 and 2025
9. Japan and Korea- Bleaching chemicals market, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)
10. Japan and Korea- Pulping Agents market, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)
11. Japan and Korea- Sizing Agents market, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)
12. Japan and Korea- Binding and Coating market, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)
13. Japan and Korea- Strengthening market, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)
14. Japan and Korea- Retention and Drainage market, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)
15. Japan and Korea- Other Chemicals market, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)
16. Japan - paper chemicals market revenue share by Product Type, 2016 and 2025
17. Korea - paper chemicals market revenue share by Product Type, 2016 and 2025
List of Tables
1. Japan and Korea - paper chemicals market: Market Snapshot
2. Drivers of Japan and Korea - paper chemicals market: Impact analysis
3. Restraints of Japan and Korea - paper chemicals market: Impact analysis
4. Japan and Korea - paper chemicals market revenue, by Product Type, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)
5. Japan and Korea - paper chemicals market revenue, by country, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)
6. Japan - paper chemicals market revenue, by Product Type, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)
7. Korea - paper chemicals market revenue, by End-user, 2016 – 2025 (USD Million)